Do you want to grow your spider plant in LECA but you are not sure if it will survive in this environment? If yes, then read this article fully. You will get answers to all your questions regarding this topic.
LECA stands for “Lightweight Expanded Clay Aggregate”. This is essentially a pack of balls made by exposing clay to extremely high temperatures.
LECA balls have the capacity to absorb water quickly and then release it at a steady rate. It has a porous texture which allows the root system to easily get water and nutrients from the medium.
In this article, we will tell you about all the advantages and drawbacks of growing spider plant in LECA. Additionally, we will tell you about other growing methods that are suitable for this plant.
Before we dive deeper into growing Spider Plants in LECA, make sure you use high-quality LECA balls. Using top-notch clay pebbles is essential to unlock your plant’s full potential. Here are my recommended clay pebbles:
- Optimal performance for horticultural applications: Designed specifically for plants in various growing mediums.
- Excellent aeration and water retention: Promotes healthy root growth and prevents root rot.
- Versatile use: Ideal as a soil additive, replacement for orchids, or in hydroponics/aeroponics systems.
- Natural and Organic: Made from 100% natural clay, these pebbles provide a healthy growth environment for plants.
- Excellent Drainage: The porous and lightweight structure of the clay pebbles promotes good aeration and drainage.
- Versatile Use: Suitable for hydroponic systems, orchids, succulents, and bonsai, these pebbles protect roots and reduce water evaporation.
- Lightweight and porous: These expanded clay pebbles provide excellent water retention and reduce water evaporation in hydroponic systems.
- Versatile and decorative: They can be used in various indoor gardening systems, such as orchids, succulents, and aquaponics.
- Durable and reusable: The pebbles do not break after soaking, are easy to handle, and can be cleaned and reused.
Can Spider Plant Grow in LECA?
Spider plant can grow fine in LECA because this growing medium reduces the risk of overwatering and pest infestation significantly. The only thing that you should consider before growing this plant in such a medium is to use a liquid fertilizer in order to substitute the nutrients normally found in soil.
When you grow spider plant in LECA you will get rid of all the problems related to the soil. For example, this plant is sensitive to damp soil and any kind of potting mix that does not promote drainage. But, if you use LECA you will never encounter this problem because the plant will get the water it needs gradually through the water absorption property of this medium.
Another thing that makes LECA one of the best growing mediums for spider plant is that it keeps pests away from the plant. In fact, when you grow a plant in soil, pests can easily get attracted to the organic matter and nutrients of this medium. However, LECA does not contain any organic matter and is composed of nothing but heated clay balls that do not attract pests.
One final thing that we want you to consider before growing your spider plant in LECA is to avoid using tap water. Generally, hydroponic gardening mediums such as LECA require fresh clean water. But, tap water contains various forms of chlorine and other chemicals that can harm your plants.
So, make sure that you use only filtered or bottled water when you are going to use a hydroponic medium like LECA for your spider plant.
- Elegant Aesthetics: Variegated spider plants showcase captivating white and green foliage, adding elegance to any indoor space. With arching leaves growing up to 16", they create a vibrant display.
- Simple Care: Easily grown indoors, ideal for all levels of plant enthusiasts. Flourishing in moderate to bright light, they need watering when the top inch of soil dries, requiring minimal upkeep.
- Professional Quality: Each plant, professionally grown by Easy to Grow, guarantees top-tier quality. With positive customer ratings for easy growth and value, this trio enhances your indoor decor.
Do you want to grow a bushy spider plant? Click here to learn about this.
How to Grow Spider Plant in LECA?
Growing spider plant in LECA is straightforward, it’s even easier than growing them in soil. All you will need is to prepare a jar, LECA balls, fresh water, and liquid fertilizer, then follow the subsequent steps.
Step1: Start by soaking your LECA balls in non-chlorinated water for 24 hours. You can use filtered and distilled water because they are free from chlorine and mineral deposits.
Step 2: Get your jar and fill it halfway with the LECA balls.
Step 3: Hold your spider plant cutting in place and add the rest of the LECA balls.
- Balanced Plant Nutrition: With a 4-3-4 nutrient blend, this plant food fosters growth, foliage vibrancy, and root development for indoor potted plants.
- Tailored Nutrition: Specially designed for houseplants, this formula supports growth and health in indoor environments.
- Easy & Efficient: The liquid form ensures swift plant absorption. Concentrated for cost-effective, lush indoor gardens.
Step 4: Add water until it is just under the roots. Then place the jar in a sunny spot in order to help the plant produce food quickly and stay warm. A south-facing window is the best option in this case.
Step 5: Change water every week in order to avoid mold growth and maintain a healthy root system.
Step 6: Spray your plant with a diluted liquid fertilizer once every month during the growing season. Do not overdo it with fertilizers because they may burn the plant.
What Are the Drawbacks of Growing Spider Plant in LECA?
Growing spider plants in LECA is generally expensive because they cost more than soil. Generally, the quantity of LECA required to grow a medium plant is 4 lbs which cost between 20 and 30 dollars. But if you decide to go with soil then you will only pay around 8 dollars to get a high-quality potting mix to grow a plant of the same size
Growing spider plant in LECA will also require a special fertilizer. If you are used to utilizing an all-purpose fertilizer or preparing your own organic fertilizer at home, then this will not be suitable in the case of using LECA as a growing medium.
Generally, hydroponic gardening requires a special type of fertilizer that can provide the plant with the necessary nutrients that are normally found in the soil.
Finally, using LECA to grow your spider plant will restrict your pot choice. Generally, all gardeners keep a collection of pots that has drainage holes. But, if you grow a plant in LECA, you will not be able to use these pots because LECA requires that water stays within the pot and gets absorbed by the clay balls gradually.
- Ideal Growth Nurturing: Crafted for spider plants, rePotme Houseplant Soil fosters optimal growth with its nutrient-rich formula, moisture control, and excellent aeration.
- Artisanal Excellence: Elevate your plant care with rePotme's small business soil. Meticulously hand-blended using premium components, it embodies quality and devotion.
- Proven Reliability: Backed by top ratings for lightweight handling, user-friendliness, and value, rePotme Houseplant Soil stands as the preferred choice of passionate gardeners. Embrace the recommended soil mix for your thriving spider plant.
Can You Grow Spider Plants in Water Beads?
Spider plants can grow fine in water beads. The main advantage of this growing medium is that it can help control the water supply which reduces the risk of overwatering and root rot for the plant.
The beads are made from a special resin that hardens quickly when exposed to water. They come in many colors, sizes, and shapes, including circular, oval, square, and rectangular. This helps improve the esthetic properties of the spider plant.
Like LECA, water beads cannot provide the necessary nutrients that the plant gets from the soil. Therefore, using a liquid fertilizer at regular intervals is essential to avoid nutrient deficiencies in this medium.
- Effortless Watering: These planters feature a self-watering system that maintains the right moisture level for your plant. This means you won't have to worry about under or overwatering, making it easier to care for plant.
- Healthy Growth: The planters come with drainage holes and saucers, allowing excess water to escape and preventing root rot. This promotes healthy root development and overall plant growth.
- Versatile Design: With a simple modern aesthetic and a variety of sizes, these planters will complement your home decor and accommodate your plant's growth stages. They are suitable for both indoor and outdoor use, providing a versatile solution for your plant's needs.
When you grow spider plant in water beads, you will never need to worry about when to add water to the container. In fact, water beads change shape when they get wet. Therefore, you will need to add water to the container only when you see that the beads started shrinking.
To grow your spider plant in water beads, you can follow the same instructions that we gave for LECA. Start by adding water and liquid fertilizer to the beads. Then, bring a glass container in order to make use of the appealing appearance of the beads. After that, you should fill the container halfway up with the beads and place your plant on the top of the pot. Finally, add the remaining beads to the pot and place it in a sunny location.
- Efficient Year-Round Growing: Grow herbs, fruits, and vegetables indoors regardless of the weather. Enjoy fresh, nutrient-rich harvests all year long.
- Automated and Low-Maintenance: Set-it-and-forget-it system with automated water and nutrient delivery. Minimal effort required for healthy plants and abundant yields.
- Sustainable and Space-Saving: Maximize yield and save up to 95% water compared to traditional methods. Vertical tower design allows more plants in less space.
If you found our content helpful, click here to read our article about growing spider plant in water.