Philodendron plants are easy to grow and care for, making them an excellent choice for beginner gardeners. They are also very versatile and can thrive in various conditions. But, if you have pets at home, you may wonder if this plant is safe for them.
In this article, we will answer all your questions about growing philodendrons while having pets at home. We will review examples of popular pets such as cats, dogs, and birds. Then we will give you instructions on keeping your pets away from your philodendron regardless of being poisonous or not.
Read on to learn more about whether or not domestic pets can eat philodendrons.
Table of Contents
Can Cats And Dogs Eat Philodendron?
Cats and dogs can’t eat philodendron because it is poisonous to both of them. The plant contains insoluble calcium oxalates, which can cause burning and irritation of the mouth, tongue, and throat. If ingested, philodendron can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty breathing.
The toxicity of philodendron plants for pets also depends on the amount consumed by the pet. Generally, when a pet ingests a small amount of the plant, it may experience nothing or mild vomiting and diarrhea in the worse case. However, If a pet eats a large amount of the plant, it may experience more severe symptoms such as difficulty breathing, muscle weakness, and seizures.
If you want to learn how to rescue a pet that ate a poisounious plant, watch the following video:
Does Your Philodendron Leaves Curl? Here Are 10 Causes and 10 Solutions for This Problem.
What Will Happen to Cats And Dogs if They Eat Philodendron?
If a cat or a dog eats philodendron, he will likely experience vomiting, diarrhea, and swelling in the mouth and throat. In severe cases, your pet may experience difficulty breathing and an increased heart rate.
When your cat or dog ingests philodendron, he may experience vomiting and diarrhea because the plant contains insoluble calcium oxalates. This substance can irritate the gastrointestinal tract. Additionally, insoluble calcium oxalates can cause irritation and swelling in the mouth and throat, leading to excessive drooling in pets.
Ingesting a large amount of philodendron may lead to breathing difficulty and an increased heart rate for your cat or dog. This happens because the plants contain cardiac glycosides, which can cause severe respiratory problems and a sudden rise in heart rate.
If your pet ingests a large amount of philodendron, he may need to be hospitalized. We recommend you seek veterinary care immediately if you notice any of the symptoms above on your pet.
Dealing With Small Philodendron Leaves? Here is What Could Be Causing It and How to Fix It.
What Can I Do If My Dog or Cat Eats Philodendron?
If a cat or dog ingests a philodendron plant, it should be taken to the vet immediately. Any random action, like making your pet vomit, will worsen the situation because calcium oxalate crystals can cause irritation and burning if they come into contact with the esophagus or stomach lining.
Here are the steps that you should follow if your cat or dog eats philodendron:
1. Immediately call a veterinarian or poison control center.
2. Don’t Try to Solve the Problem on Your Own: Do not try to make your pet vomit unless instructed to do so by a professional.
3. Explain the Situation in Detail to Your Vet: The veterinarian will need to know what type of plant it was, how much the pet ate, and when the pet ate it. This information will help the veterinarian determine the best course of treatment.
4. if You Can, Bring a Sample of The Plant with You to The Vet: When a pet ingests a philodendron plant, it is essential to bring a plant sample to the veterinarian. This can help the veterinarian determine if the plant is poisonous and take appropriate steps to treat the pet.
5. Follow Any Instructions Given to You by The Vet or Poison Control Center.
6. Monitor Your Pet Closely for Any Signs of Illness and Contact Your Vet if You Have Any Concerns.
Why Are the Leaves of Your Philodendron Plant Dripping Water? Click Here to Get the Answer and Fix This Issue.
Can Birds Eat Philodendrons?
Birds cannot eat philodendrons. The insoluble calcium oxalates in the leaves of this plant can cause irritation and swelling in the mouth and throat and possibly difficulty breathing if ingested in large quantities.
Generally, the toxicity of plants to animals depends on the animal’s size. Small animals, such as birds, are more susceptible to the toxins in plants than large animals. This is because the small size of the animal allows the toxins to reach a higher concentration in the body. On the other hand, a large animal dilutes the toxins and prevents them from getting high concentrations.
The toxicity level of philodendrons can be higher for birds than for other pets. In fact, birds are small, meaning the calcium oxalate concentration would be higher even if this pet ingests a small quantity of this plant.
Do You Want to Prevent Your Philodendron Leaning? Click Here to Learn About Our Secret Technique.
What Will Happen to My Bird if He Eats Philodendron?
Birds that ingest philodendron plants can experience diarrhea. The plant contains toxic substances that can irritate the bird’s digestive system, causing watery and runny stool. In severe cases, this can lead to dehydration and even death.
When a bird ingests the philodendron plant, it may also experience tremors. The tremors will become more severe the longer the bird is in contact with the plant and can eventually lead to death.
The philodendron plant can also cause vomiting when ingested by birds. The plant contains insoluble calcium oxalates, which can irritate the gastrointestinal tract and cause vomiting.
Birds may also experience difficulty breathing and paralysis if they ingest the philodendron plant.
If You Are Interested in Knowing What Cause Philodendron Propagation to Fail, Check out This Resource.
Can Rabbits Eat Philodendrons?
Rabbits also cannot eat philodendron plants because they are sensitive to calcium oxalate crystals. In fact, rabbits have a very acidic stomach and are vulnerable to this substance. When a rabbit ingests a philodendron leave, he will experience irritation and burn in the gastrointestinal tract.
Some people pretend that philodendron is not poisonous to rabbits, given that wild rabbits can eat this plant without a problem. But, here in The Gardening Talk, we believe this is false. First, wild rabbits are more likely to have access to other food sources, so they are less likely to need to eat the philodendron. Second, wild rabbits are more likely to be predators than domestic rabbits. This means they are more likely to digest the plant material without a problem.
Do Philodendrons Like to Be Root Bound? Click Here to Know the Truth.
Can Tortoises Eat Philodendrons?
Turtles can eat philodendron plants because they are not poisonous to them. However, not all turtles digest this plant comfortably. In fact, these plants are very fibrous and difficult to eat. If a turtle eats them, it will probably end up in the trash. It is also possible for a turtle to start choking while eating this plant.
Generally, the effect of eating philodendron plants on mammals is not well known. It is best to avoid giving philodendron plants to these animals unless a qualified medical professional supervises them.
Your tortoise may eat philodendron without experiencing any adverse effects. However, if you have reason to believe your tortoise may have an allergic reaction to philodendron, removing the plant from the habitat would be best.
Are You Interested in Growing Philodendron in LECA? Click Here Before You Do So.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Philodendrons?
There is no definitive answer to this question, as no scientific evidence supports any specific claims. Some people believe that eating philodendron plants can be beneficial to bearded dragons, as they are a source of Vitamin A. Others believe that philodendron plants can be toxic to bearded dragons, as they contain calcium oxalates which can cause health problems.
Ultimately, it is up to the owner to decide whether or not to feed their bearded dragon philodendron plants. We recommend keeping your bearded dragon safe by keeping the philodendron plant out of its reach or growing another type of plant known to be safe for this species.
If you want to grow some plants that are safe for bearded dragons in your home and garden, then you can choose from the following list:
- Snake plants.
- Aloe Vera.
- Jade Plant
- Spider plant.
Did You Know that Philodendron Leaves Can Turn Black? Read This Article if You Don’t Want to Experience This Isssue.
How to Keep Philodendron Plant out Of the Reach of Domestic Pets?
The best way to keep philodendron plants out of the reach of domestic pets is to keep them out of the house altogether. If that’s not possible, put them in a room your pet can’t access or a high spot where your pet can’t reach them.
Floating pots are also a great way to keep poisonous plants out of the reach of domestic pets. By suspending the pot in the air, it becomes much more difficult for curious pets to investigate and potentially ingest the plant.
Hangers are another great way to keep poisonous plants out of the reach of domestic pets. By hanging the plants up high, you can ensure that your pet cannot get to them and accidentally ingest them. This is an excellent idea if you have a cat or dog that likes to chew on things, as they are less likely to be able to reach the plants if they are hung up.
Can Philodendron Grow in Low Light? Here Is the Answer.